99.99% of the credit here goes to https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/muhammara-roasted-red-pepper-walnut-dip
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- Can’t find it? Do a 2-1-1 mixture of pomegranate juice, balsamic vinegar, and coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove the stems and seeds. Lightly rub them with about 2 teaspoons of oil and arrange on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil. Bake until the skins begin to blister and brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and allow them to sit until they’re cool enough to handle.
- When the peppers are cool, gently peel off the skins (it’s okay if you miss some spots. I did!). Either let them drain for a while or squeeze most of the water out of them.
- Place the peppers into the blender along with 1/4 cup of olive oil, the walnuts, scallions, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, garlic, cumin, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Blend until it’s mostly smooth, then taste test and adjust any other seasonings to your liking.
- Add in the panko breadcrumbs and pulse just until incorporated. The mixture should be nice and thick.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with pita bread or pita chips!